The Matara Fort was built in 1560 by the Portuguese and was substantially re-built by the Dutch in 1640, following the capture of Galle. The fort, which consists of a large stone rampart, occupies the promontory, which separates the Niwala Ganga (River) lagoon and the ocean.
The star fort is located in the city of Matara and it is also named as the Star Fort because of its shape in the star format. The fort has its historical and ethnic importance too and it was used historically in wars when it served to protect and secure the other main fort in the city of Matara. There are many historic and other aspects attached to the fort.